Professional Business Writing by the Economist.
Very happy to share that I’ve passed the Professional Communication: Business Writing and Storytelling course by The Economist, obtaining a final grade of 87%.
What are the 7 key takeaways that fit in a short post?
- Think about the briefing: what’s the main message, who’s the audience, what’s the medium
- Then think about the key points you want to make to get your message across
- Order your key points on a map to form a journey. Is the path from one point to the next logical? Are there logical gaps?
- Write the intro — a catchy sentence or two that invites the reader to take the journey — and the executive summary — ideally covering most key points
- Then put some evidence or arguments beside each point
- At this moment, you should have a solid enough structure and text that you can produce a first draft
- Once the draft is ready, polish, polish, polish.
- [Bonus] Grammarly is an excellent tool for non-native English speakers. For example, I use commas the Italian way — it just sounds right to me — and apparently, some actual rules dictate how to use them in English.
You can enroll on their site.